I have to apologize for my absence over the last couple of weeks. I was unable to get onto the blog to post updates due to a series of emergencies that came up at the office. This is what I've been working on:
I also stopped the deportation of another one of my clients who was brought to the airport by ICE, and was literally about to be put on a plane to be sent back to her native country. I filed an emergency stay of removal with the Board of Immigration appeals, together with a motion to reopen so that she may apply for asylum. I'm now working on trying to get her out of custody while the BIA adjudicates my motions. Wish me luck.
So you ask, what has been going on over the last week in the gentler, kinder world of immigration enforcement under the Obama administration. A ton, and it hasn't been pretty. Here is a snapshot:
- Immigration raids shake up Wash. college town: A little payback for those pesky DREAMers for making Obama give lip-service to the DREAM Act during the lame duck session.
- After Immigration Raid Chipotle conducts mass firing of Latino Workers: Obama: the Job Killer in Chief.
- Protesters Arrested at Downtown Minneapolis Chipotle: Because taking your jobs isn't good enough... they also want your freedom of speech.
- ICE raid shakes Latinos: Obama wants Hispanics to know that he cares about you.
- Families torn apart during ICE raid: Thank goodness that Obama put an end to this... oh wait.
- Federal raid leads to 30 being taken into custody: Anyone else starting to see a pattern here?
The irony of all of this is that the Republicans are the ones worried about the public perception that they are anti-immigrant. In 2012 if you care about immigrants rights, and immigration reform remember this blog before you cast your vote for this President. Trust me, he will stab you in the back with the jagged edge of a broken campaign promise as you cast your vote for him and his cronies.