ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily

Questions and Answers for Members of the Military

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers immigration services and resources specifically for members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their families who are stationed in the United States and abroad. USCIS established a military assistance team to ensure that the military community receives quick and secure access to accurate information. Below is a list of answers to frequently asked questions received by our military assistance team. 



Q.  What is the fee for the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) filed by spouses of military members?

A.  The filing fee for the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) is $675 ($595 plus a biometrics fee of $80).  Individuals who submit FD-258 Fingerprint Cards directly to USCIS with their applications are not required to pay the biometrics fee.  Applicants filing from within the United States should submit a single check or money order of $675 made payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.


Q.  I am a military member stationed abroad with my dependents.  Can my dependents have their naturalization interviews conducted overseas?

A. Yes.  Certain spouses or children of service members residing abroad with that service member (as authorized by official orders) may be eligible to become naturalized citizens without having to travel to the United States for any part of the naturalization process.  Please see “Fact Sheet:  Requirements for Naturalization Abroad by Spouses of Members of the U.S. Armed Forces” and “Overseas Naturalization Eligibility for Certain Children of U.S. Armed Forces Members” on for more information.

If you have an appointment for a naturalization interview and you have transferred overseas, contact USCIS by calling the Military Help Line by telephone:  1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645) or email: and request to have your case transferred to your nearest USCIS overseas office.


Submitting Biometrics


Q.  I am an active duty military member and am required to submit biometrics at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC).  Do I need an appointment?

A. No.  Active duty military members do not need an appointment and will be accepted on a walk-in basis at any ASC in the United States.  You should bring your military ID with you to the ASC. 


Q. Can I submit fingerprints before I file the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400)?

A. Yes.  You may submit fingerprints even if you have not yet submitted an Application for Naturalization. 


Q.  Where can military members or dependents that are living abroad go to have the fingerprints taken?

A. Military members and dependents stationed abroad can submit 2 properly completed FD-258 Fingerprint Cards taken by the Military Police, Department of Homeland Security officials or U.S. Embassy or Consulate officials. 

Q. If my military installation does not use FD-258, can I submit another type of fingerprint document instead?

A. FD-258 is the preferred document used to submit fingerprint, however USCIS may be able to accept a comparable document, such as the Department of Defense SF-87, in place of the FD-258.  Please contact the USCIS Military Help Line at 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645) for more information.

General Information


Q.  What are the criteria to have an application or petition expedited for military personnel?

A.  USCIS reviews all expedite requests on a case-by-case basis. Some examples of situations that may qualify for expedited processing include:

• Pending military deployment
• Extreme emergent situation
• Humanitarian situation

Please contact your local USCIS office or the USCIS Military Help Line at 1 877 CIS 4MIL (1-877-247-4645) for more information.


Q.  I am an active duty military member stationed abroad.  How do I check the status of my application?

A. You can check their status of any application by clicking on the “Check My Case Status” link on the right-hand side of this page. Note: when checking the status of an I-751, you must use the receipt number from the ASC appointment notice. You may also call the USCIS Military Help Line at 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645).


Related Files

Last updated:01/27/2010