ILW.COM - the immigration portal Seminars

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

Listserv Q&A for
"Paparelli on Cutting-Edge Issues in Business Immigration Practice"

For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.


I have a question regarding the extension beyond six years if a L/C has been filed before the end of the fifth: Once the President signs the bill, it will be some time before INS drafts regs. Meanwhile, the law permits someone to extend past 6 years. I'm inclined to file the extension (in some cases we have no choice), cite the law, and wait for INS to process. I assume that in the interim the beneficiary can remain in the US in lawful status and continue working.

Answer by Angelo Paparelli:

I agree that you should file the extension based on the law (assuming it is signed by the President). Existing regulations, i.e., 8 CFR 274a.12 (b)(9) and 274a.12 (b)(20), taken together, would grant the individual the earlier of 240 days or the date of INS decision on the H-1B extension of stay to continue working lawfully and to be allowed to remain in the U.S. Hopefully, INS would have issued a policy memo or interim regulation within the allotted time granted by the these regulations.

Immigration Daily: the news source for
legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers
Enter your email address here: